Sunday, December 7, 2008

Baby Sign Language Journey: 8 months old


More Sand Please

Ok, I don't really know that my daughter was signing MORE in this picture. But, she could have been. Munchkin signed MORE for the first time when she was 7.5 months old. I started signing with her when she started eating solid foods at 5.5 months. At 7 months, she hadn't signed yet, and I was feeling a little less enthusiastic, but I was still determinedly signing away.

Munchkin must have been waiting for an audience. I was feeding her lunch at my parents' home during Christmas. The cousins were there; my friends were there. And right in front of everyone, she signed MORE!

It was great to have everyone there for her first sign, but it was even better to have several independent verifications that she actually had signed. Several people yelled out at the same time, "She signed MORE!" I guess that was her Christmas present to me.

From that moment on, I was completely hooked on sign language. I had started out with the intent to teach her a few basics, but when she started communicating through sign, I couldn't stop. I wanted to know all she could possibly tell me.

2 comments:

WeeHands December 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM  

Using sign language with babies (and toddlers) is a wonderful thing to do! Thanks for sharing!

Sara Bingham, WeeHands Founder
Author of The Baby Signing Book

“There are no hands so small that they cannot make a difference in the world." - Author Unknown

Holly Tried It December 10, 2008 at 9:48 PM  

I sometimes wonder how long she'll be interested!

What Can Smart Baby Sign Language Blog do for You?

How can Smart Baby Sign Language help you sign with your baby or child? Feel free to ask me any questions. If I can't find a reliable source, I'll poll those who know. What else would help you: activities to teach sign language, ways to use sign language to teach reading, reviews of sign language products, etc.?

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP