Thursday, September 4, 2008

What Do I Need to Start Teaching Sign Language to My Baby?

You really don't need anything other than a sign language dictionary to start teaching your child American Sign Language vocabulary. And I'm using the term "dictionary" very loosely. Your dictionary could be an ASL storybook checked out from the public library, or an online video dictionary, or it could simply be a friend.

I've made access to several of the best online dictionaries easily accessible from this blog. Just click the ASL Dictionary tab at the top of the page. Type in the word you are looking for, and the site searches about five online American Sign Language Dictionaries and returns the results. This really simplifies things when you are looking for obscure words, like ARMIDILLO.

That's it. You don't need anything else. Of course, there are lots of extras that make learning to sign easier for you and your child. Flash cards, Signing Time DVDs, sign language story books, and a baby sign language dictionary to help you easily identify the easier signs (when I first started I would look up words like BLENDER and find out that it was a complex combination of signs. It was too much for me to remember at the beginning.)

0 comments:

What Can Smart Baby Sign Language Blog do for You?

How can Smart Baby Sign Language help you sign with your baby or child? Feel free to ask me any questions. If I can't find a reliable source, I'll poll those who know. What else would help you: activities to teach sign language, ways to use sign language to teach reading, reviews of sign language products, etc.?

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP