Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How to Find a Sign Language Group

When you first start teaching your child sign language, it can be a little overwhelming. You need to learn the signs, figure out how to teach your infant effectively, and remember to use the signs throughout the day. And if you don't know anyone else who is signing with their child, it can feel a little lonely.

If you can, find a sign language group to join. You find a support group that will enthusiastically support your choice and will help you learn more signs. And their is a good chance your child will start signing when he sees that other kids sign.

I started my own sign language group, but it ended up being a lot of work to teach other's to sign on top of teaching myself and my family members. It was fun, and if you have the time I recommend it. It gives you control of the format and the lessons taught. But, there are easier ways.

Free or Low-Cost Groups
Meetup - www.meetup.com allows you to search for groups with like interests by ZIP code. I felt comfortable meeting people this way (even though it was through the Internet) because the meeting location was at a public place. I didn't have to go to somebody's home that I didn't know, and I didn't have to reveal my address and personal information. Try searching for ASL, Signing with Baby, American Sign Language , British Sign Language, or Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

Public Libraries - Check your local library to see if they offer baby signing. It's similar to story time for older children.

Baby Signing Classes
There has been an explosion in the number of baby signing classes and programs available in recent years. Visit the website of the program of your choice and find a class in your area. I didn't attend a class, but here are a few companies to look into:
Signing Smart
Baby Signs
Kindermusik
My Smart Hands
Weehands

There are many other programs out there. I'll discuss them in more detail in another post.


2 comments:

rjlacko September 4, 2008 at 3:28 AM  

I love your new site! Congratulations, Holly! Everything you are doing to help your daughter communicate not only builds her vocabulary, but also her bond with you.
I look forward to reading more about your adventures. Thank you for sharing this valuable information with parents.

Holly Tried It September 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM  

Thank you! We have so much fun with our daughter. I want to make it as easy as possible for other parents who want to sign with their children.

What Can Smart Baby Sign Language Blog do for You?

How can Smart Baby Sign Language help you sign with your baby or child? Feel free to ask me any questions. If I can't find a reliable source, I'll poll those who know. What else would help you: activities to teach sign language, ways to use sign language to teach reading, reviews of sign language products, etc.?

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP