Monday, September 29, 2008

Baby Sign Language Clarifies Meaning of Words That Sound the Same

The English language is difficult. Many words sound the same, but mean different things. For example, "The farm was used to produce produce." For more examples in English and Tagalog, visit Filipino Deaf.

American Sign Language (ASL) has signs that are the same, but mean different things: FLAVOR and FAVORITE, ALL DONE and FINISHED.

Since language is so nuanced, I've found using two languages to be helpful since the 2nd language can clarify the first. For example, my two-year-old daughter said something funny. I said to her, "You won!" without signing.

She laughed, pointed at me and said, "You two!"

After I stopped laughing, I explained myself, reinforcing the concepts with ASL.

2 comments:

bendystar September 30, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

That's so cute though! I agree sign is the best to help clarify and to help you little one feel empowered through communication. I love this bog- I'm linking it to my blog so others can find you easily. Thanks!

Holly Tried It September 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM  

Thanks, bendystar. Your photos of your son are great! Your art is pretty amazing, too.

What Can Smart Baby Sign Language Blog do for You?

How can Smart Baby Sign Language help you sign with your baby or child? Feel free to ask me any questions. If I can't find a reliable source, I'll poll those who know. What else would help you: activities to teach sign language, ways to use sign language to teach reading, reviews of sign language products, etc.?

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP